The BRAND NEW Piggy Family

The BRAND NEW Piggy Family
The cartoon is by Piggy Daddy who is a full time educator and freelance illustrator. Anyone who needs freelance illustrations, please contact us! :)
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 28, 2009

'Claypot' Chicken Rice

Yesterday was Friday, my self declared 'off' day. Actually wanted to have lunch with my ex colleagues but they were not free so I stoned at home and went to Tampines Mall to meet hubby for dinner. We had Seoul garden, my choice cos I was so hungry, only had 2 slices of light cheese cake (bought from Giant) for lunch. Friday is like date night for us, my favourite day of the week cos I get a break to have a leisurely dinner without rushing like mad. :)

Walked past Bee Cheng Hiang and they were having promotion for its lap cheong, $9.95 for 4 so decided to buy that and some chicken fillet from NTUC and cook claypot rice today. Have a pack of claypot rice mix which I bought a few months ago. After buying the ingredients, we went to ILs place to pick up RaeAnne. When MIL heard that I am going to cook claypot rice, she offered me a lot of ingredients ie. shitake mushroom, garlic, onion and spinach (she has no 'cai xin'), chilli sauce. She said she will stir fly the ingredients with garlic, onion before putting into the rice cooker. Her recipe is plain rice though then use dark soy sauce to stir through. So, I followed the recipe behind the Asian Home Gourmet Spice Paste pack but modified some steps.

Hubby gave it a 8.5 out of 10 cos he said the spinach was a bit soft. If we use caixin, it will be more crunchy. Wish I had some salted fish crumbs and garnishing to put on top of the rice. Overall, I was happy with the results because the chicken was tender and the rice was not too salty. I will definitely cook this one dish meal one day so better put the recipe here. :)

In order to cook it faster today, I started preparing the ingredients last night
1)soak and slice the shitake mushroom
2)cut chicken breast into bite size and marinate the chicken with oyster sauce, sesame oil, dark soy sauce and cornstarch,
3) peel and chop the garlic and onions
4) soak the lap cheong, remove the skin and slice into thin slices

Today around 1030am, I started cooking the rice in a rice cooker. 1.5 cup of rice, 1 and 3/4 cup of water and the spice pack.
Then I started fry the garlic and onion in medium fire on non stick pan
Then add the mushrooms, lap cheong and chicken.
I didn't fry the chicken for very long cos I scared chicken fillet will be too tough (in fact, I hate chicken breast because of that but too lazy to buy chicken thigh meat and debone so make do with chicken breast cos it's more convenient. Healthier too lar)

Finally when rice is almost done, can see the holes in the rice. Add all the ingredients on top of rice. Then add the spinach last on top. The rice was ready by 11.05am, perfect timing so we could take turns to eat while feeding RaeAnne porridge. :)

No comments: