The BRAND NEW Piggy Family

The BRAND NEW Piggy Family
The cartoon is by Piggy Daddy who is a full time educator and freelance illustrator. Anyone who needs freelance illustrations, please contact us! :)
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 13, 2013

First spelling & 听写

RaeAnne had her first 听写 on Thursday and spelling on Friday. Blur mummy did not check the communication book so I did not even know spelling n 听写 are starting this week. Neither RA nor I saw the 听写单 n spelling list. I only found out because Teacher Samantha told me on Thurs evening when we picked up the gals that English spelling was postponed to Friday. I thought RA failed 听写 for sure. But luckily, the first 听写 was quite easy. Just 一,二,三,四,五. So she got full marks though she did not study at all.

English spelling was challenging though. There were only 4 words: man, moon, mouse, mother. She knows how to spell man and moon without coaching. But mouse and mother were beyond her. I let her copy each word 5 times. Then I did a mock test. But she cannot spell mouse and mother. Teach her the catchy M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E jingle from my time. Then ask her to do correction for mouse and mother 3 times. Then do another test. She still doesn't know how to spell mother. So ironical that it is the word that is most difficult for her. After correction, I ask her how to spell Mother. But she is still stuck after M-O-.... Grr...

Finally, I asked her why after so many times, she still cannot spell mother but she knows M-O and she said teacher never taught 't' yet. Duh. So I went to check her phonics book. True enough, they stopped at letter 'L' for June. So 'M' is probably just learnt last week. Asked my mummy friends with kids in zoophonics and they said it should 'Mmm - oorh - Th - R. I have never learnt phonics so I don't know how to teach her to blend.

Decided to ask Teacher Sam in the morning. When I asked her, she told me 'th' sound will only be taught in K2. huh? Then why test this word? No wonder she never got beyond M-O... Teacher Sam said they have taught the 'M' words including Mother. But I told tcr Sam that it will be difficult for them to try and spell Mother phonetically if they have not even learnt the 'Th' sound yet and she got my point and said she will revise with them before giving the spelling. Teacher Laila has taken over English lessons wef 1 July so Tcr Sam is not very sure what was taught in class.

One of my teacher mummy friends subsequently told me that actually 'mother' is a sight word. That means children should learn how to spell it with constant exposure. No need to use phonics, just need to read more. Hmm, hardly see the word 'mother' in P&J nor scholastic reader books. In fact, if the word is Mummy, I am sure RA will have no problem because she is drawing and writing cards to me and hubby.

Anyway, with Teacher Sam and my drilling, she finally learnt to spell Mother. Conclusion, I think her Chinese std is ok so I really need to help her with English. My mummy friends gave me tips. Some showed me what English reader books to borrow. I need to be consistent to point out word by word as I read to her. Then give her chance to read to me too. Her son who is born in Dec 07 can read JS books by himself. RA cannot even read JP books. :P

It is so difficult to juggle studying and playing. Since the gals have 8 hrs of school everyday, when they came home, I usually leave them be and let them play whatever they want or bring them to the playground after dinner. But now, looks like I got to allocate more time for academics. :(

No comments: